Does Your Team Have Synergy?
I recently read an amazing book – Invisible Power by Ken Manning, Robin Charbit, and Sandra Krot. Invisible Power presents a profound yet practical understanding of our most underutilized asset – the human brain. It is about who we are as human beings, how we think, and how we access the resources to solve seemingly intractable problems by tapping into our innate intelligence.
So what does this have to do with EOS? Plenty.
One of the concepts we help our clients learn is that as a leadership team, they must become good parents. That means they have to have a handful of rules, repeat themselves often (seven times to be heard the first), and be consistent.
To accomplish the latter, leadership teams must become cohesive and healthy. We find most leadership teams are not.
The Role of Synergy
Synergy is achieved when two or more things work together to produce a result that is greater than the sum of their individual efforts. You may have heard the expression, “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” That’s synergy.
Cohesive and healthy leadership teams develop synergy. Their minds are open, and there is a respect for people’s capacity for insight.
Teams who have created synergy have been able to do the following:
- Set their egos aside. When discussing a new idea or solving an issue, they start with zero – not with what might be the current standard.
- Be generous in their thinking. They are bold enough to say what has to be said, and none of it is personal.
- Say no to office politics. Decisions are made on what is best for the company, not based on personal interests or supporting individual causes.
- Listen to hear, not to vote. Their interactions are relaxed and peaceful, yet passionate because they are fighting for the greater good of the organization.
- Be open and honest. With each other, with themselves, and with everyone in the company. They are able to move forward, create vision, and discover the company’s Core Values.
- Identify issues. Together, successfully identify the root cause of a problem, and then openly discuss ways to solve them.
- Delegate and Elevate. They delegate job responsibilities to others, so the business can grow and everyone functions within their Unique Ability ®.
By achieving synergy, companies identify their vision. Then they can systematically build a team who not only understands that vision, but also how their individual roles work to achieve it.
Synergy – it brings out the innate leadership in each of us.
Do you need help building synergy in your leadership team? If so, contact us. We can help.
EOS is a holistic management system with simple tools that help you do three things we call vision, traction, healthy. Vision from the standpoint of first getting your leaders 100% on the same page with where your organization is going. Traction from the standpoint of helping your leaders to become more disciplined and accountable, executing really well to achieve every part of your vision. Healthy meaning helping your leaders to become a healthy, functional, cohesive leadership team.