“Just Say No” To Office Politics
Office politics are the tactics people employ to gain advantage either personally, or for a position, decision, or project they support.
Much has been written about handling office politics, winning at office politics, or making office politics work for you. But the truth of the matter is, when a company elects to implement EOS® as their management system, office politics are absent from the equation. There is just no room for them.
It’s a simple concept, really. EOS® is based on the premise of teamwork and collaboration. Every person on your team is working together towards the company’s Core Focus . It’s based on mutual respect, being open and honest, and supporting decisions that are best for the company as a whole, even if those decisions are not necessarily the ones you would have selected.
Instead of looking out for only themselves and their pet projects, employees in an environment free from office politics are willing to say what has to be said, because the entire team is fighting for the greater good of the organization.
So it all starts with the leadership team. It is your responsibility to:
- Be good “parents.” Managing people can be a lot like parenting. It’s your job to set a good example, make sure your expectations are communicated clearly, and be fair and consistent with solving issues that arise.
- Have a handful of rules. Your rules are your Core Values, which are the guiding principles that identify who you are as a company. If your employees believe in your Core Values, then decisions you make that are consistent with those values won’t be disputed.
- Own what happens in the company. Stand behind your decisions, regardless of how they pan out. And know that the only thing you can take personally is your response to any given situation.
- Create the right structure for the company. With tools like the Vision/Traction Organizer, the Accountability Chart, and the Company Scorecard, EOS® creates a solid framework for your business.
- Systemize the work so everyone can function smoothly. EOS® encourages you to keep things simple by documenting your Core Processes and streamlining your strategy. When systems are in place, there is a process and an expectation to refer to, which help eliminate office politics.
We’re humans – we need to feel inspired every day, and people become the ideas that surround them. It’s pretty simple. If you want a team dedicated to making incredible things happen, give them a reason.
One Vision. One Voice. One Team. Watch your company become the best it can be.
Do you need help saying “no” to office politics? If so, contact us. We can help.
EOS® is a holistic management system with simple tools that help you do three things we call vision, traction, healthy. Vision from the standpoint of first getting your leaders 100% on the same page with where your organization is going. Traction from the standpoint of helping your leaders to become more disciplined and accountable, executing really well to achieve every part of your vision. Healthy meaning helping your leaders to become a healthy, functional, cohesive leadership team.